applet browser: code complexity in the data model

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 30 22:45:17 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 30 June 2009, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> The example from the computer-life that is symmetric is the task-bar (or,
> even, better - dock) - you can close the windows from it although it is
> used to open/activate them.

there's a 1:1 relationship between the entry on the taskbar or dock and the
item it interacts with.[1] the bubbles could indeed give that 1:1, but:

* we'd need a way to identify "this bubble means that widget over there"

* you can reasonably only have so many bubbles in a circle; it's an edge case
but it's one we'd be creating for ourselves

* it add more "stuff" to this interface, small stuff which will be easy to
accidently hit (though that can be mitigated by having them "grow" on mouse
over)

also, one of the original ideas that went into designing plasma was that it
would treat items as real-world objects as much as possible. there are
obviously areas we don't do this for one reason or another, but it's the
general idea.

really, instead of arguing against this feature, we ought to be collating
reasons _for_ this feature. the primary reason from pre-4.1 is gone (widgets
were easy to lose) which leaves us with the symmetry concept[2].

anything else?

random idea: if we really want a Remove Widget UI, maybe it should re-use the
Add Widget UI but instead of showing available widgets it should show all
running widgets using the same display style.

[1]  the exception is right clicking on a window group in the taskbar.

[2] and personally i think removing things via an 'Add..' interface is pretty
odd

humru othro a kohnu se