planning for 4.4

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 13:25:16 CEST 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all ...
>
> i'd like to invite everyone to a "planning for Plasma in 4.4" irc meeting.
> it would be great to do it this weekend, as Akademy is next week. i know
> some of our people are at linuxtag this weekend, but hopefully they can
> find an hour or so tomorrow to work it in.
>
> it will be the usual "what are our plans and goals for 4.4, and who'll be
> doing what" coordination meet up so we know where we are headed in the
next
> six months. with Akademy next week, it's a great opportunity to get
> together in person and work on these things even further. as you probably
> know, i won't be there this year, but i will be online 24x7 (P. will be out
> with his mom, so i should be relatively free, aside from packing up the
> house).
>
> can those who can make it tomorrow at 15:00 UTC please rsvp to this email.
> those can not, let me know if sunday works better.

in 4 hours from now, hmm, yeah, i should be here definitely :)

> as for possible agenda items, i have a decently healthy list of items
> already:
/me feels the urge to start an arguing braindump on the points, just to not
forget in the meeting:)

> * plasma mid
yeah, define basic behaviour, i.e how is on the right track the various pieces
we have now

> * notification queuing and logging
still not totally happy about how the notifications+jobs looks now, but i
still can't nail why...

> * full featured JavaScript API (binding Qt+KDE libs in full)
> * further extension of the Simple JavaScript API
> * kinetic
> * remote widgets/engines/services
> * context menus and mouse action plugins for containments
> * add widget dialog
can't argue on those ones, just see how is the gsoc progress on them :)

> * improvements to ZUI (finally _nail_ that crap)[1]
i was thinking about painting not transformed  pieces of the standard
background around containments but that would be probably quite slow

> * window slide in/out in KWin
uh?
> * social desktop
main thing that the ocs applet is missing i think it the user activity
browsing, the techbase one is coming along, but i think as a plasmoid will
always be somewhat limited
> * plasmate
> * video driven "welcome" plasmoid
not sure if the one in playground can really be used? it seemed to try to do a
bit too much...
> * the ARM CPU arch and plasma
apart the buid issues is there something else? (like things that are ok on x86
too slow on arm or things like that?)
it's a while i dont try to build it in the maemo sdk, the pain in that case,
more that the fact that it's arm comes from the fact that everything on it is
reeeeally old, would be interesting to try it on some more recent sdk...
> * moving system tray from experimental to fd.o standard
yeah, that would be great (anyways i've started a draft specification in
http://gitorious.org/~notmart/xdg-specs/notmart-xdg-specs, i will need someone
that assures that is written in proper engRish  :p

> * krunner magic -> basics are in place, now lets take it to school!
some way to make it more prominent, alt+f2 is kinda doomed to be the
ubergeek tool forever...
(and here plasma-mid will definitely demonstrate what krunner can do :p)