planning for 4.4

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 01:42:26 CEST 2009

> can those who can make it tomorrow at 15:00 UTC please rsvp to this email.
> those can not, let me know if sunday works better.

should be able to make it, not sure for how long. sunday I'll be on a plane :)
I'll mention some stuff here just in case I don't make it to hte meeting.

> as for possible agenda items, i have a decently healthy list of items
> already:
>
> * plasma mid
> * notification queuing and logging
> * full featured JavaScript API (binding Qt+KDE libs in full)
> * further extension of the Simple JavaScript API

yay js :)

> * kinetic
> * remote widgets/engines/services
> * context menus and mouse action plugins for containments

yep. oh, I have an annoyance that I have to fix next week and it'd be good to
discuss possible approaches.
see, right now Containment has a contextmenuevent function that does both its
own contextmenu and those of its applets. this has a few implications:
*the function comes before mousereleaseevent, so it overrides my code.
shouldn't be hard to fix, just stop using that function and put the code
somewhere after mine.
*when right-clicking an applet, the contextmenu currently contains the
containment's contextactions too. continuing this behaviour would be...
nontrivial. you'd have to find either a) the magic contextmenu plugin or b)
whatever plugin is bound to rightclick (currently I favour b) and then somehow
get a list of qactions or something from it, which is something they just
don't provide ATM.
...although it's possible I could add it, and by default return an empty list,
and have the contextmenu plugin implement it properly so the default settings
look the same. hmmm. :) perhaps I've answered my own questions.

> * add widget dialog
> * improvements to ZUI (finally _nail_ that crap)[1]

yay!
I had a thought on this, but no time to consider implementing it:
currently the second zoom-out level just draws things really small. iirc the
original idea was to provide more of an abstract overview at that level.
what about, once containment-saving is implemented, showing not just the
running containments but the saved ones (thumbnails of them, that is - hey,
better performance, right?) and having some kind of containment management
stuff? this would mean not rendering itty-bitty fullyfunctional containments
(they're not much use at that size anyways), maybe overlaying controls on them
or something... or allowing them to be dragged around...

also, some other stuff bugging me:
*I'd like to be able to scroll a bit to the left or top of a containment, to
get it out from under the corona-toolbox and my panels
*autoscroll at the screen edges would be awesome
*why do all my windows get minimized when I click the cashew? is there a
faster way to unminimize them than activating each in turn? do we still have
plans for zoomout-on-dashboard? I tend to work with several maximised windows
on each desktop, so I end up keeping an extra virtual desktop dedicated to
having hte cashew visible in case I need to zoom out. I'd much rather just
ctrl-f12 and zoom out from there.

*I've been hearing reports of zoomed-out-plasma eating the whole cpu on ati,
and it happens to me on intel. iirc it was luca that was thinking maybe this
isn't just a driver issue? maybe there's a bug? I *hope* it's just a bug...
that means it could be fixed and I could zoom out without pain again.

> * window slide in/out in KWin
> * social desktop
> * plasmate
> * video driven "welcome" plasmoid
> * the ARM CPU arch and plasma
> * moving system tray from experimental to fd.o standard
> * krunner magic -> basics are in place, now lets take it to school!
> * developer documentation, website
> * kuiserver and plasma job display
> * autoupdating / checking of plasmoids
>
> [1] i've figured out a rather hackish way to draw shawdows around the
> containments in DesktopView when zoomed out .. *grin* it's not pretty, but
> it will work and not degrade performance. which means we can replace the
> checkerboard background.

:)

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com