default plasma theme and fallback

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 14:21:22 CEST 2009

Hi all,
as i was talking today with Ivan on irc, there could be a problem in having
air as default theme now, since is the fallback theme too, many existing (and
incomplete) themes that relied on many elements to be the fallback ones now
have the air elements, a thing that could quite break their look.

there are few possible solutions:
a) not caring, be a bad boys and just require the themes to be complete (ok,
not a solution this one :p)
b)mantain oxygen as "default" and just load air instead of oxygen at kde
startup
c)have a fallbackTo=foo entry in themes desktop files making possible for
themes to fallback to a desired theme (maybe kinda overkill and what happens
when a 3rd party theme falls back to another 3rd party theme? or what happens
when a theme falls back to an incomplete theme?)

soo, if we just make the default as air every time the default theme will
change the same pain will repeat, if we keep oxygen  as the fallback theme we
are condemned to keep it complete for ever (that sounds sensible anyways) but
will be less painful for old themes even if someday another new default theme
will be provided...

Cheers,
Marco Martin