Plasma running on S60 device

Artur Souza(MoRpHeUz) morpheuz at openbossa.org
Fri Jun 5 15:16:25 CEST 2009

Hi Jani,

On Friday 05 June 2009, 07:32 Jani Hautakangas wrote:
>  What should I do to get this project started? Who should I contact? It
> would really nice if someone could walk me through to get this project up.
> I guess that S60 port will have webpage of its own http://s60.kde.org like
> other ports have their own. Eventually this project will be KDE for Symbian
> but since Symbian Foundation is not yet properly running lets keep it KDE
> on S60. Finally when we have KDE or parts of it up and running we can start
> pushing this upstream. I'm sure that not every component is feasible for
> S60/Symbian but at least Plasma looks very promising. There is no guarantee
> that that this will ever fly but at least we can try.

I think that the best way to start this project is to request an svn account
and start working on playground. In KDE's svn server there is a folder named
"playground" where we can put all our prototypes. I think this would be a good
place to start.

It's important that you start sharing the code from the beginning with the
community so we can give you some help with that. Kevin and others can help a
lot and there are a lot of Nokians around also that can help. But if you keep
the code somewhere that we can't see it would be difficult to help...

> 	- CMake doesn't support Symbian. We must use QMake for now.
>
> 	- Qt for S60 doesn't support QtDBus. There are few alternatives for this:
> 		- Implement QtDBus for S60 (native or use LIW/AIW behind the scenes)
> 		- Use S60 LIW/AIW directly
> 		- Use upcoming Qt Service Framework if it is feasible
> 		- Beg QtSoftware to port QtDBus for S60

Maybe Alexis can talk with the guys from the S60 port about QtDBus status ? :)
Otherwise I can go and talk with them but probably it would be faster if Alexis
just go to their office =P

> My employer Tieto http://www.tieto.com is willing to contribute/sponsor
> this project. Tieto is among the leading Symbian R&D service providers for
> OEMs globally with up to 1300 persons in Mobile Devices R&D globally.

I know your company...there were some Tieto's workers on a project that I was
working :)

So please: put the code somewhere on svn and come to #plasma on freenode :)
Welcome aboard ;)

http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_SVN_Account

Artur Duque de Souza
OpenBossa Research Labs