Current Animations Poll for QT Kinetic + Plasma

Akmanalp, Mehmet A makmanalp at wpi.edu
Tue Jun 2 23:31:06 CEST 2009

Hello,
As a result of the previous discussion [0], I set out to see what all
the current plasma apps (in svn) were doing in regards to animation so
I gathered some data simply by grepping for customAnimation through
their sources [1], then checking out what they were doing.

In short:
7 fades
2 slides
1 expand / contract
Not many chained together!
(Keep in mind that a sample set of 10 a)

So, apparently, people don't use a large variety of animations at all,
and don't chain them parallelly. One example of parallel animations I
spotted was the rssnow app, where when one news item slid out and the
other slid in. Another was the pager, where you can slide your mouse
over several desktop icons and they will all keep fading at the same
time, although this is more the "fire and forget" type of animation
aseigo was talking about.

Anyway, maybe the reason for scarce use and lack of variety in
animations is that people can't / are too lazy to (not in the bad
sense) write animations, so they simply opt not to. When this layer
makes it upstream, more people might take notice of its existence and
decide to use more animations.

So, obviously, it looks like we need a fade effect :) But taking into
consideration what I just said, it might be foresighted to add a
little more. I'll pick and play around with some plasmoids to see what
else could be added to them.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
--
~ mali (http://constant.inople.net/)