Pager config not working with vertical Panel

Anthony Bryant antjbryant at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 18:58:55 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Richard Dale<richard.j.dale at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have four virtual desktops and a vertical panel on the right. If I
> use the configure dialog to set the number of columns to two, it works
> fine, and I have my four desktops in two rows and two columns. If I
> set the number of columns to one, I end up with a single row of four
> tiny desktops in four columns.

I'm not completely sure, but I think somehow you weren't running my
patch when you tried to test it...
I've definitely fixed the problem you described here.

> It unconditionally sets 'm_columns' to 0, which is the very thing I
> was changing when I used the config dialog with my vertical panel. I
> also prefer my change at the beginning of recalculateGeometry() to the
> one in the reviewboard patch.

The reason that my patch always calculates columns from rows and not
the other way around is because rows is what is stored in the config
file. If you start storing columns in the rows field in the config
file then it really won't behave when there are two applets, one in a
vertical panel and the other either on the desktop or in a horizontal
panel.

> Another problem which neither patch fixes is that sometimes (but not
> always) my config of 1 column X 4 rows of desktops is truncated
> vertically and I can only see slightly more than the first desktop,
> although there is plenty of room in my panel to show all four.

My patch on reviewboard does in fact fix this as well (and is working
locally), which is why i suspect that you weren't actually running my
patch when you tried to test it. Did I upload it wrong or something?

Just to make sure: when you resize the pager on the desktop do you see
a lot of debug output that says "ignoring size constraint" ? - my
version removed that debug line so if you see it you're still on the
old version.