Kickoff Apps Regoranization

Vishal Rao vishalrao at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 03:03:55 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste at kde.org> wrote:

> A while back, Kubuntu had first proposed and provided a patch for a single
> level of categorization and it was accepted by upstream (I wish one day you
> would accept our other Kickoff patches too). We still believe this is the
> best
> organizational method for Kickoff and would like everyone to benefit from
> this
> default. Plus it would be nice to not maintain a patch.

+1 from a Kubuntu user. I already found the previous (Jaunty) menus tedious
and switched to the classic menu and liked the fewer levels (at least easier

navigation) there. I'm currently running KDE 4.3 RC2 (on Arch Linux distro
temporarily) and even with the classic menu there are extra levels which
make it more annoying even if its just one extra click.

Please consider flattening the menu structure, you could think up another
strategy
for netbooks, but for desktops a user should be able to get to the
application they
are looking for with the least amount of clicks and mouse movement, even for
apps that are rarely opened and wont have in the history or desktop
shortcuts.

If not KDE upstream, then I hope Kubuntu devs/designers decide to have a
patch
which agains flattens the menus for Karmic...

Regards,
Vishal