plasma & plasma-desktop

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Jan 31 00:55:53 CET 2009

Hi,

 I noticed that after I compiled trunk I have two panels, systray
without icons and similar strange things. After a while I realized that
I have both plasma and plasma-desktop running.
 It happens because I have a distro packaged KDE 4.1 (and now 4.2) in
/usr and a self compiled one in /opt/kde4. Even though the last one is
ahead in the path, in doesn't help in this case, as plasma is picked up
from /usr.

 I assume this will hit many people, especially developers. A proper
upgrade mechanism should be found. I see there is already a plasma-to-
plasma-desktop executable and a plasmarc-to-plasmadesktoprc.upd, but
they seem to not do the job completely.

Andras