playground/base/plasma/applets

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jan 22 05:11:07 CET 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009 04:28:38 Wade Olson wrote:
> 2009/1/21 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
>
> > On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > The applet is only half way there right now, the layout is messed up,
> > > but we did get the Akonadi dataengine fixed, and have basically
> > > established end-to-end connection from data that gets into Akonadi,
> > > queried by the akonadi dataengine, and offered to the Plasma applet as
> > > updates.
> >
> > does that mean we could query it for calendar events and integrate that
> > into
> > the calendar widget?
>
> I would think so; the discussion has been on generalized contact info cases
> of which this is the proof-on-concept use case.  Sebas and Till have been
> hell bent for two days now in discussions and coding.

Even got a bit sunburnt while writing the emailmessage applet. Till has got me
up to snuff with Akonadi, we bounced ideas and checked what would work (and
what wouldn't). We've ported and "made work" the akonadi dataengine in
playground, this one can be extended to show sources such as "Contacts", and
possibly calendar data (given that it's actually stored in Akonadi).

As to calendar integration, the following things would be needed:

- is the calendar data actually stored in Akonadi?
- create sources mapping Akonadi queries that are interesting in the calendar
- have calendar use it

Another interesting, and probably related area is Nepomuk. We haven't had the
time to discuss Nepomuk integration in more details unfortunately, but it
sounds like an interesting area for research.
--
sebas