More DataEngines questions

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sun Jan 4 20:33:42 CET 2009

On Sunday 04 January 2009 19:04:38 David Baron wrote:
> While this is being discussed at length . . .
>
> Are there stock data-engines that come with the distributions, things for
> KDEPIM or even MySQL or pogreSQL? Or need on always roll one's own?

*looks in kdebase/workspace/plasma/dataengines*

We've got:
* applicationjobs - shows KIO Jobs
* dict - looks up definitions for words using an online dictionary
* executable - runs a program and gives you access to the stdout,
  stderr and exit status
* favicons - gets the favicon (the one that appears on the left
  of the address bar in browsers) for a website
* filebrowser - gets the contents of a folder, and monitors it
  for changes
* hotplug - monitors device additions and removals
* mouse - gets mouse co-ordinates
* network - gets information on network interfaces and connectivity
* notifications - access to the KDE notification system
* nowplaying - information about running media players
* places - Places are the folders shortcuts displayed on the left
  of file dialogs and in Dolphin
* powermanagement - does what it says on the tin
* rss - access to RSS feeds
* soliddevice - more low-level access to hardware than hotplug (I think)
* systemmonitor - CPU usage, memory usage etc.
* tasks - currently running tasks (a la the taskbar)
* time - date & time, supports multiple timezones
* weather - gets weather information from online sources

kdeplasma-addons also has the comic and twitter engines.

Generally useful engines will probably be included in kdebase, or maybe
kdeplasma-addons.  For example, I could see that an email monitoring engine
and an address book engine (based on Akonadi) would probably merit inclusion
in kdebase (providing the kdepimlibs dependency wasn't an issue).

Alex