SoConcepts

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 22:36:38 CET 2009

On February 19, 2009 12:26:10 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Chani wrote:
> > > 	* savable containments: save / restore to file individual containments
> > > or entire layouts; both locally for later restoration as well as
> > > external export for sharing with others.
> >
> > is this really enough work for a soc project?
>
> if the "nice way to share with others" is added to it and the requirements
> are to provide usable UI interaction for all steps, i think so. it's
> certainly not a HUGE project, though.
>
> > btw, when I was thinking about it during tokamak, I realised that
> > stashing them locally is easiest to do by simply leaving them in the
> > appletsrc with a flag to disable them - no need to go mucking about with
> > files. sharing with other people would be different, of course. :)
>
> the flag idea is elegant, but then there are two different code paths: one
> for the "i'm just going to stash this one away for my own use later" and
> one for "i'd like to share these with others / i'm sharing this one from my
> friend".

the idea was to not need a filedialog unless the user is exporting them. so
when I want to load a containment, I don't think "now where the heck did I put
that thing?" - I just get a list of stashed containments and can load one
easily. same thing with stashing - I can just click one button and have it go
away instead of deciding where to save it and then maybe removing it too. it
also avoids any confusion about whether the loaded containment gets saved to
the file it was loaded from or to the appletsrc.

I think the separate-code-paths is worth it to make that use case nice and
easy for people who aren't sharing their containments.

> for a dialog that shows all available but not-active containments, this
> would make a difference to the amount of and cleanliness of the code.

how would a dialog show non-active containments if tehy're saved somewhere
else? are you thinking of having some folder in .kde for them?
...I suppose that would be a way to avoid filedialogs and have them not in the
appletsrc. but then when you load them, does that file get deleted? or does it
get left there and the containment copied into appletsrc? (and then what
happens if it's stashed again?) or does it continue using that file and changes
get saved back there?

> it would also be a bit less surprising in the case one clears out their
> plasma-desktop* configs to not have them remain in the config file.

maybe, maybe not. although it seems I've got plasma stuff in share/apps/
already, so cleaning out plasma config isn't as trivial as it used to be.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com