[nepomuk-kde] Plasma activities and Nepomuk

Hari krishna Anandhan harikrishna.anandhan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 12:01:00 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Ivan Čukić<ivan.cukic+kde at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although this would be perfect to have, I'm concerned about the interface to
> it. The users are already confused with activities, what would happen if we
> introduced activity types (as configurable) as well?

I think the main reason casual users are confused is that they are not
able to differentiate virtual desktops with plasma activities. When
you see reviews of plasma activities, they inadvertently compare
virtual desktops to plasma activities. Ideally they expect those to be
coupled together by default...That is how casual users look at it
normally...

I read somewhere that users adjust themselves to something different
as long as it feels different. And, they panic when they see something
similar to what they had known already, but it does something entirely
different. That is because when they see something similar they expect
to use it like they have used before, but as it performs a different
function, they just become confused and start to panic...

I don't know why I am bringing this now ! But, anyway ...

> I'd rather have a 'create a new activity based on the current' than making a
> template system like that.

Exactly, the normal users will not be required to temper with the
above template features. What we can do is, have an Activities tab in
Kickoff/Lancelot/Raptor which would list all the current Activity
templates as icons with description. When the user clicks on it, we
can start an activity based on that template ;)

Cheers,
Hari