Systray jobs and notifications

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Thu Apr 9 20:31:28 CEST 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009 19:55:49 Chani wrote:
> how do you warn the user if they close their laptop lid? :)
> it does make sense for all other triggers, though.
>
> ...hmm, if the warning had a sound effect I might notice when closing my
> laptop. *most* of the time I also wait for it to finish suspend before
> putting it in my backpack, but it's so reliable now that I don't always
> check.

O yeah, right, didn't think of the laptop case. (I don't got a laptop myself)
But for laptops, blocking suspend is even worse: you can suddenly discover
that your battery is empty, because the last time you closed the lid the
laptop didn't suspend because you had a job running.
One thing we could do is maybe have a sound when you have a job running and
close the lid: delay the suspend for half a minute or something, so the user
has the chance to open the lid again and wait for the job to end, or just
ignore it and have the job aborted. I'm not sure if this is a plasma thing, I
have no idea what actually takes care of suspending when you close your laptop
lid.

Regards,
Rob