Systray jobs and notifications

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Mon Apr 6 16:30:21 CEST 2009

Hello,

I wanted to discuss what I think should be improved in the plasma
systemtray... not the spec, but the jobs/notifications. We discussed some of
this already at tokamak, but there's still a lot to be done if we want this to
be implemented for 4.3:

* job widget layout. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think this
could be improved. The widget takes up quite some space vertically. I'm not
sure how we can keep the widget compact while still showing all the
information (we'll need to add the ETA too). Any ideas?

* job completed action. As discussed at Tokamak, we'll need to add an extra
action to the JobView (and a slot to KJob) interface to allow, besides
suspend, kill, and resume, an action that can be invoked after the job is
finished. Kio could use this to provide an 'open' action to open the
copied/moved file, or it's containing directory in case of multiple files. It
should probably also provide a way to set a message for both this action, and
the description of what has just finished.

* when a job is completed, replace the job widget with a notificationwidget,
showing the 'completed message' (hmm, we could just use infoMessage for this,
and let kio set a more sensible messages when a job completes (like "finished
copying 5 files from <url>"), and showing the finished job action. We could
add those notifications to an ExtenderGroup that contains the text "x
completed jobs" and a "clear" button that empties this group. Wait, I'll draft
up a extremely beautifull mockup and attach it.
Problem: it would be very nice if this would also work across reboots, which
isn't the case if the kjob handles this finished action. Most of the time,
this action will just open an application with a certain set of arguments, so
maybe we should just provide the name of an application + command line
arguments in a string. Then the systray would just contain a firefox like
completed jobs history, with open buttons that still work after a reboot.

* An animated icon of some sort when jobs are running, instead of the "i"
icon. Discussed at tokamak, and makes it clearer when there are actually jobs
running. We should probably also show a tooltip when hovering this icon. This
icon still needs to be designed.

I'm looking forward to some brainstorming on this topic.

Regards,
Rob