Adding a margin around the desktop containment

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Wed Apr 1 14:52:20 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 14:41:21 Thomas Schildknecht wrote:
> >> What you're talking about is I think essentially a strut.
>
> A "strut" ? What are you talking about ? And do you think what I said is
> doable ?
> Thanks

It's most certainly doable. Take a look at http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
apidocs/kdeui/html/classKWindowSystem.html
With setStrut or setExtendedStruts, you can set struts. Struts are basically
area's of which kwin is made aware that windows aren't supposed to cover them
when maximizing the window. Basically you could implement your own containment
type which has config options for margins and which uses KWindowSystem to set
the struts depending on those margins.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
Rob