KJots on Plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 25 18:34:34 CEST 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> The idea would be that the plasmoid would display either all of your kjots
> notes, or only a particular kjots book, or notes tagged with a particular

cool!

(i actually maintined kjots in kde3 and gave it its current tree-on-the-left-
content-on-the-right interface with things like full book overview, etc ..
Jaison took it further with the start of rich text editting and the initial
kde4 port .. so cool to see this app continue on! it got its start in kde1 ..
yes *ONE*.. =)

> Syncronization:
> KJots has been a KUniqueApplication since before I started working on it.
> This is presumably so that two running KJots instances can not have out of
> sync edits to the same page.

yes, that's correct.

> However if pages can be edited in a plasmoid,
> that would be possible. I *think* that if I write an akonadi resource for
> kjots, akonadi would keep all views on the data up to date (
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.pim/22743). If someone else is
> more familiar with this kind of thing and whether akonadi is needed at all,
> please let me know.

that'd be a question for the pimsters.. i *think* the answer is "yes, that's
correct" but they'd know better than me =)

> Using existing code:
> There is already a KJotsComponent which is a QWidget contains all the
> functionality in kjots. It is used by the standalone application and by the
> kpart which gets loaded in kontact. I think I read that plasma can use
> QWidgets directly because of QGraphicsView(?). Does that mean that I can
> simply put that widget into a plasmoid and I'll be finished?

yes, that's about it; i'd recommend using a Plasm::PopupApplet, so when it is
in the panel you'll get a button to click on that will show the content in a
popup.

you'll want to store the book/page being viewed in the plasma applet's config
as well of course =)

i'd also recommend setting an appropriate mimetype (e.g. x-app-kde-kjots or
something similar) on things dragged from the kjots and associating the applet
with that mimetype (it's done via a Mimetypes= entry in the .desktop file..) so
you can drop books/pages right onto plasma and it will automagically create
the widget.

humru othro a kohnu se