Tasks DataEngine Cleanup and Service

Alain Boyer alainboyer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 23:46:55 CEST 2008

Hello,

Here is my first patch to the KDE project! Basically, it cleans up the
existing tasks data engine and adds a service to it that enables
interaction with the tasks or windows (ex: maximize, minimize,
activate...). Only a subset of data and operations are exposed; those
deemed "safe" by me. Should more data be exposed? Should more
operations (such as closing a task) be permitted? I'm thinking we can
address these issues later.

I divided the patch in two: tasks_existing.diff and tasks_new.diff.
The first patch contains changes to the existing headers and sources.
The changes are quite extensive; I hope it is not too hard to follow.
The second patch contains new headers and sources for the service.

I'm also including a patch to ConfigXml. It is a workaround that
addresses the current problem with KConfigSkeleton (see thread on
kde-core-devel for more info). Essentially, it forces writing to the
config file. What is nice is that the change is within the plasma
library and not kdelibs. This change makes sense for the Service
Explorer although I'm not sure if it negatively affects other uses of
ConfigXml.

I'd be happy to make some changes to these patches if need be.

Alain.