Extender tutorial on techbase

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 22:18:38 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 02 September 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> I've recently written a simple Extender tutorial on techbase, and would
> appreciate some feedback. Is the example clear? Is there stuff I don't
> mention but should? You can find the tutorial on
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/UsingExtenders

looked at it and talking with ruphy on a possible popupapplet extension made
me think about it so now i have a big doubt... :)

in this example it uses a popupapplet to show the extender, that is the same
approach libplasmaclock uses, but with quite lot of custom code to create and
display the popup (all in showCalendar() should be literally copied and pasted
in similar applet, no good :))
so exactly how extenders are meant to be used?
should be usually used as popups? iirc also on canvas right?

for the basic case of an applet with popup should be provided something
simple, now we have popupapplet, but all there is in a panel is an icon and
for some cases like the clock this is not adapt...
so there are two options:
in popupapplet adding the possibility ti replace the icon with a generic
QGraphicsWidget
or
adding something in Applet like showExtender() that makes a popup in the panel
and maybe adds it in the applet layout when it's on the desktop

or did i miss something fundamental? :P

Cheers,
Marco Martin