tasks painting semplification

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:36:38 CET 2008

On Monday 27 October 2008, christian mollekopf wrote:
> > From: notmart at gmail.com> To: plasma-devel at kde.org> Subject: tasks
> > painting semplification> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:32:03 +0100> > Hi
> > guys,> with Nuno we are starting to design the new plasma theme for 4.2,
> > of course > this time won't be a total redesign like for 4.1, but just
> > some tweaks here > and there.> a thing that however will look quite
> > different is the taskbar theme, since > there are some usability problems
> > with the current one (hard to tell apart the > focused task with the
> > requesting attention ones)> even it will be mostly just a changing the
> > svg tipe of work it's a good > occasion to take a look at the painting
> > code.
>
> Very good idea, the painting is really quite hard to understand ;-)
ok, so later today i will slash away that stuff with great pleasure :)
> It would also be nice if could make some kind of theming for expanded
> groups (or maybe collapsed as well). It could be based on the group color
> (available in the lib), but then we would have to make this color either
> editable, or chosen by the theme, or whatever.
if done by theme we can't change the color stored in the svg unfortunately
for expanded groups don't know if it would look a bit busy drawing a kind of a
background of the whole group (maybe should be used something very subtle),
will talk to nuno about that
for collapsed group there is the arrow indicator, wouldn't make it that
different, a thing that i would do perhaps is to add a number of the groups
members, so a collapsed entry would look something like Dolphin (3)

> However it should make expanded groups distingushable from other items and
> it should work with split groups.
>
> Unfortunatley i don't have a clue how to do such things =(, but i'm always
> ready to learn if you need my help for some coding =),
i still don't really know exactly what should be done but shouldn't be that
much

however still speaking of the taskbar but on a totally different area:
there are some issues i don't really know how and where to fix them since i
don't know very well the libtaskmanager code: the issue of show only minimized
tasks we talked briefly on irc yesterday (sorry, didn't have much time :)
it seems that if the task applet starts with windows already loaded the show
only minimized behaves correctly but not for windows that starts after the
taskbar is loaded, so perhaps is something that has to do with starting tasks?
they shouldn't be listed at all when this option is on i guess

oh and another thing, perhaps the only major thing still missing is the
grouping only when the taskbar is full, so kinda of an enabling/disabling it
on the fly, would be feasible with the current architecture? personally i like
it always on or always off, but received some complaints about that ...

Cheers,
Marco Martin