tasks painting semplification

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 16:32:03 CET 2008

Hi guys,
with Nuno we are starting to design the new plasma theme for 4.2, of course
this time won't be a total redesign like for 4.1, but just some tweaks here
and there.
a thing that however will look quite different is the taskbar theme, since
there are some usability problems with the current one (hard to tell apart the
focused task with the requesting attention ones)
even it will be mostly just a changing the svg tipe of work it's a good
occasion to take a look at the painting code.
I wanted to make it look nicer, so would be easy to add some fancy effect that
are neeever enough (well, sort of:p)
in svn there is some new bling already...

aaanyways, the painting function it's really a mess because when i added the
support for svg theming i decided to add a fallback for every element, so when
it does not exist in the svg just paints a rounded rectangle, so the code is
80% manual qpainter cruft.
now, would be interesting as a general rule how to behave in this cases, i
think that just removing the fallbackswould make way more cleaner code.
i kinda remember chatting with aaron on a similar situation (don't remember
what was the theme/plasmoid in particular) was decided to just consider it a
problem of who makes the theme to ensure all the elements are in
what do you guys think?

Cheers,
Marco Martin