Status of multi-monitor support

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 13 20:34:02 CEST 2008

On Monday 13 October 2008, Guillaume Pothier wrote:
> Well, actually it seems that it is only the position of the
> containment in the corona... some containments are even further to the
> right, with x coordinates of about 3800.

yes, these are coordinates *on the scene*. think "model/view" where the scene
is the model. for the view, this coordinate is *irrelevant* other than as a
place to position the viewing area. for the purpose of screen coordination,
you should simply ignore the scene position: it isn't relevant!

> So I think it's not really the problem.

of course not. that's why i didn't go into it in my original email.

> What I need to understand is how and when these
> coordinates are mapped to the physical screens.

they aren't.

* a Containment is associated with a View
* a Containment may also be associated with a physical screen
* when the physical screen changes size, the Containment may be resized
* the View is notified of that change, and may elect to also adjust its
geometry and scene viewing area

so what you need to be concerned with is the size (not location) of the
Containment, and setting that size in response to screen changes. currently in
the plasma desktop shell, that happens in DesktopView::adjustSize() with the
line:

    containment()->resize(geom.size());

DesktopView::adjustSize is called from PlasmaApp in response to the
QDesktopWidget::resized signal.

humru othro a kohnu se