Extender theming issues.

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:48:05 CEST 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> On Friday 10 October 2008 00:01:15 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > ah, i see .. i wasn't explicit enough: keep the top margin in the dialog,
> > just get rid of the left/right/bottom margins.
> >
> > the reason for doing it this way is then you don't have to specia case
> > anything when the Extender gets used in some other scenario (where
> > painting the top of the first item wouldn't be desired)
> >
> > > And if I would use the applet's background as extenderitem
> > > background, shadows would be drawn which would look a bit weird inside
> > > a Plasma::Dialog.
> >
> > if we use a separate svg this is a non-issue; still i don't think it
> > would matter in practice.
>
> Well actually, this is an issue: in the current oxygen plasma theme, the
> background's border sizes of applet and dialog's background are different,
> because the applet's border includes shadows, and the dialog's border
> doesn't. So we would need 2 different extenderItem backgrounds to fit
not exactly: the problem is that there must be two different dialog svgs: one
loaded when the desktop effects are on and that is exactly the same as applet
(but nothing forbid a theme to make two totally different ones) and one loaded
when effects are off, that must not have antialias at the borders, so the
situation is even more complicate, i personally think that attempting
composing two diffent background svgs is really asking throubles and can't get
good results..

> correctly in both applet and dialog. Or the dialog and applet background
> border have to be made the same.
> Hmm, actually, dialogs are always masked anyway, so the dialog's background
> svg can have the same border size as applet, since the excess part of the
> border will get masked away anyway. That approach might work... I'll just
this only when desktop effects are off i think