Extender theming issues.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Oct 10 00:01:15 CEST 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2008 22:51:37 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 October 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> > > The margins contained in the panelSvg leave a gap between the borders
> > > of the extenderItem and the border of the applet background, setting
> > > the margin to 0 makes the borders of the extenderItem stick out of the
> > > applet border. Either way, the extenderItem's background doesn't align
> > > with applet background properly.
> >
> > how about:
> >
> > * make extenders either use the applet background directly, or just
> > require that artists make them with the same border sizes
>
> In which case we could set the applet's margins to be 0 and have it work
> correctly when on the desktop? Sounds good.

.. unless the plasmoid itself is managing the layout in the Applet, in which
case we leave it up to the Applet.

the use case for this is a plasmoid that has a layout containing some widgets
as well as extenders.

the twitter plasmoid, for instance, could use extenders for the individual
tweets. but on the desktop it would still want have it's line edit, etc there.

so we should only do automatic manipulation when Applet knows for sure that
it's controlling the whole show for the plasmoid.

> The second option would be
> better imo: gives theme designers more flexibility.

probably, yes =) we just need to make the requirement clear to them

> > * don't paint the border on the first ExtenderItem in an Extender
> >
> > * set the borders in the Dialog to be 0 so that the extender paints "full
> > width" and therefore just uses it's own borders (which is the reason for
> > the first point)
>
> So we would draw only the middle part of dialogs/background.svg, and the
> extenderItems on top of that?

see point #2: "don't paint the border on the first ExtenderItem in an Extender"

> In which  case we would still need to paint
> the border on the topmost's item's background since the dialog doesn't
> provide one.

right, which is the reason for point #2.

ah, i see .. i wasn't explicit enough: keep the top margin in the dialog, just
get rid of the left/right/bottom margins.

the reason for doing it this way is then you don't have to specia case
anything when the Extender gets used in some other scenario (where painting
the top of the first item wouldn't be desired)

> And if I would use the applet's background as extenderitem
> background, shadows would be drawn which would look a bit weird inside a
> Plasma::Dialog.

if we use a separate svg this is a non-issue; still i don't think it would
matter in practice.

humru othro a kohnu se