playground plasmoid redux

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 9 17:57:52 CEST 2008

On Saturday 04 October 2008, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >>
> >> Or maybe just keep as a seperate plasmoid which can of course be used
> >> through the systray's plasmoid protocal.
>
> This would mean that kuiserver's extender would be different to
> systray's thus negating the purpose of integrating the two.
>
> >> Because as opposed to the
> >> notifications applet, the kuiserver applet really needs an icon to
> >> open/close the popup. Transfers often take a while, and you don't want
> >> to have the popup open all the time while a transfer of multiple hours
> >> is running, while you do want to open it sometimes to take a look at how
> >> for the transfer is.
>
> I hadn't considered this.
>
> > the KUIServer protocol in systray-refactor could create the icon, which
> > the systray would then add
>
> This is definitely a possibility, but I'm not sure it's really possible
> to accomplish by October 19th. Assuming that the icon would show/hide
> the extender, there are issues such as the interaction between the
> kuiserver hide/show and knotify notifications, or how an icon adding
> through the Task protocol can even get access to the extender.

the attached patch addresses this issue. (along with a couple of other minor
items, like removing the direct use of the Manager from the TaskArea class)

i also realized while writing the patch that the plasmoid protocol has a fatal
flaw: it creates one widget per task, but the tasks are global (shared between
all instances of the tray). part of the solution here is to actually implement
configuration management which we can do more easily once we have access to the
applet object in question, which this patch brings us one step closer to.

(it also doesn't allow more than one of the same applet, but that's another
matter =)

i think we will need to pass in a KConfigGroup to Protocol::init, and not
create the protocols when the manager is created but have an init on the
Manager class as well.

most of the awkwardness in systray-refactor comes from parts of it being
written as if it were a 3rd party library to be re-used elsewhere when that
really isn't the case. a bit more coupling in the right places between the
core/ and ui/ classes will make things a lot easier.

which is all to say that the barrier to adding something like the KUIServer
stuff to this is absolutely solvable, is completely orthogonal to any other
stabilization work that would be left to do and that i'm willing to put the
work in to make it happen over the next 5 weeks.

humru othro a kohnu se