Review Request: Desktop Settings Theme Details

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 17:48:06 CEST 2008

----- Original Message ----

No problem, I can make the new tab into a separate app.  Would a kcm for this be ok?

I was kinda thinking of this not as strictly as a designer tool but something more for the user similar to the colors kcm but for the plasma theme. The user can currently change the color scheme (main tab) or can change components of the color scheme (colors tab or in the main view in 3.x).  If the user chooses they can save any changes to a new color scheme name, import or remove color schemes.  As a user, I think it would be convenient to be able to easily change, say just the analog clock or the panel background to one I downloaded from KDE look, or to one I prefer from a different theme.   I think the use cases are similar to the colors kcm but for the plasma theme.  It's kinda all-or-nothing right now.

Also, if it's relatively easy for the user to change then it might motivate more theme-authors who are only willing or able to focus one thing (a really cool clock or panel) but who might not be willing or able to do an entire theme.

So I was rather hoping this would be not too difficult to find for the user.  I hoping a kcm (even if its under "Advanced") would be ok for this reason.

Thanks much for the feedback and hope this will be helpful,
Andrew