Naming conventions for scripting applets and data engines

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 14 20:27:03 CET 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008, Richard Dale wrote:
> I think 'examples' is a better place than 'test', and that we are better
> off dividing them into 'applets' and 'dataengine' directories like the ruby
> ones.

agreed ... it also follows other places in kde better.

> I prefer the python names like 'pyclock' or 'rbclock' to 'python_clock' or
> 'ruby_clock'.
>
> Do we need to include 'plasma_applet' or 'plasma_dataengine' in all the
> names?
>
> Should the names contain hyphens or underscores instead?

it depends on which names. =)

* in the file system: ruby/examples/applets/clock should be clear?

* installation dir: python_<appletname>, ruby_<appletname>

* .desktop file: pasma-applet-python-<appletname>.desktop

this just follows the conventions we already have in place and follow for the
c++ side of life.

the rational for all of it is to make it easy to use traditional command line
tools to sort through things, e.g.:

	 ls ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/plasma-applet*

humru othro a kohnu se