Icon troubles + countdown in new plasmoid

Tarah Wheeler tarahwheeler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 07:10:42 CET 2008

Hi, all:

I'm new at KDE development.

I'm trying to create a plasmoid which has a custom image (I've saved it to
/myCustomPlasmoid/icon.png), and a countdown ticker for the text.

I've gone through the tutorial and gotten the example plasmoid to compile and
operate properly.

How do I specify that I want to use my own icon (as opposed to the one in
KIcon which provides a default document icon) for the image?  I tried using
the relative directory like this in the .cpp:

    : Plasma::Applet(parent, args),
    m_svg(this),
    m_icon("../icon.png")

But it's not working.  I still get the default document icon instead of my
custom image.

Second, how would I go about replacing the regular text with a countdown (with
a prespecified value set in the future)?

If there are any tutorials or walkthroughs other than the beginning one I've
already done, I'd be glad to know about them.

Thanks!
Tarah