Confusion over audio device enumeration

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Sep 23 22:33:20 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 23 September 2009 11:58:12 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> It's also interesting that sound servers still seem to have a bad
> reputation!

Well aRts had a bad reputation for being unmaintained and thus generally
useless if it didn't work.  I seem to remember a quote about PulseAudio "being
the software that breaks your sound" from its earlier days ;)

It's hard to recover from a reputation.

With that said I think PulseAudio certainly solves some problems, and
apparently does so in a way that keeps developer interest that we were not
able to achieve with aRts.  So for systems where PulseAudio is the sound
backend (either by distro or user choice ;) I would love for Phonon to
cooperate as much as possible.

As far as backends I prefer for phonon-gst to work myself (and I say this as
somehow who simply hates and abhors gobject and glib more and more every time
I use it -- I mean no offense when I say that, but meh...).  gstreamer is
designed for audio output while I've always got the feeling that it was a hack
with libxine (for instance, see the MRL handling we have to employ with
phonon-xine).

I look forward to Phonon and PulseAudio being highly compatible though, which
I think would be great for Linux audio in general.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne