containment types

James Spencer jamessp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 15:10:13 CET 2008

On March 12, 2008 04:30:08 am Chani wrote:
> On March 11, 2008 20:56:24 Chani wrote:
> > I'm a bit confused about what these containment types really mean and how
> > they're supposed to be used. mainly I'm confused about what is and isn't
> > a desktop containment.
> >
> > right now, being a DesktopContainment means three things: you get applet
> > handles, you get the desktop toolbox, and setScreen() works properly.
> > I don't like those three things being lumped together. what if I want to
> > write a desktop containment without a toolbox? (yes, that is where I'm
> > going.) what if I want a desktop without handles, because I want to do
> > something funky like tiling applets? (I saw a tiling windowmanager
> > recently. it was shiny.)
> >
> > would it be reasonable to have separate variables for enabling handles
> > and toolbox? then the meaning of  setContainmentType(DesktopContainment)
> > would be "setScreen should work, and handles and toolbox default to on" ?
> >
> > then I could create a shiny new desktop containment and do
> > setHasToolbox(false) or setHasHandles(false) to replace them with my own
> > crazy ideas.
>
> hydrogen suggested in irc that setContainmentFlags() would make a better
> API, instead of having a function for every property.
>
> > oh the other hand, if being a DesktopContainment absolutely means having
> > a toolbox and handles, then setScreen should work for non-desktop
> > desktoplike containments, right? ...I have a feeling that that would
> > cause other pain, though, because I bet there's more code that assumes
> > containments that serve as a desktop must be of type DesktopContainment.
> >

> > oh btw, I'm working on a new containment. should I put it in extragear or
> > playground? :)

While not directly related to your API questions, as a lowly user, I'm
curious--

If we are to have a default DesktopContainment with certain 'immutables', are
there any plans to:
a) Provide an easy* way to change the aforementioned containment.
b) Provide an easy** mechanism to get new containments.

* 'easy' as in: doesn't require a text editor or compiler
** 'easy' as in: GHNS2

I'm not asking for a timeline, or a firm plan, or the implementation details
(or vision)... But if anything of that sort is in the cards at some point in
the future.

_James