Review Request: disable toolbox for now

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 4 17:28:45 CET 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2008, Celeste Paul wrote:
> > I agree with Aaron that the toolbox should stay, but not for exactly the
> > same reasons.  It will eventually do something, and so leaving it there
> > will prepare users for it.  Basically it is saying "Hi!  I'm the toolbox
> > and I hope to do more for you in the future, check back later!", but is
> > also easy to ignore.
>
> .. which people who are using KDE 4.0 will learn to do, and probably not
> notice when the toolbox becomes more useful in the future. I think the same
> reason can be turned into the opposite: it shouldn't be there so that
> people notice it is new, play with it and find the useful feature it
> provides (when it provides one).

.. and in the meantime i don't get useful feedback and when it appears again
it's unsatisfactory. the thing has improved dramatically since first
appearing in just about every way, and that's specifically because it's been
available.

> > It would be weird for users using KDE 4.0 to have it
> > disappear for a few months only to have it come back.
>
> I'd say there are very few KDE 4.0 users right now, so it would not yet
> harm or confuse a lot of people.

if we aren't concerned because there are few users, then it's a moot point in
total.

> > Right now as it is, it's harmless in a non-buggy crashing state.
>
> it is harmful though if it overlays with the panel or in xinerama
> configurations.

how, exactly? if it overlays with the panel you just can't get to the toolbox
(there's a proposed fix for this, but it needs to be improved on). in
xinerama configurations, i don't see the problem (well, now i don't after
having fixed reported bugs with xinerama set ups).

and as for the "overlay the panel", that's something that can be fixed. again,
the whole "working around vs fixing" thing, where "working around"
becomes "never gets fixed".