Plugins: Use Qt plugin art. or XML?

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:26:43 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Alex Merry <huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

> That's the point of the nowplaying data engine.  It should abstract away
> media
> players.  I'm thinking of separating out the actual media player
> interaction
> into a library (it shouldn't be too difficult to do, since I've designed it
> with that in mind from the start).  Then new media players could be
> implemented as plugins, and this could be shared with the now listening
> plugin
> in Kopete, for example.
>
> Alex

Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking (except I didn't know about
Plasma::DataEngine before).  The current NowPlaying plasmoid appears to be a
subset of what I was going to do, so I'll work with it and submit my patches
back here to avoid duplication of effort.

BTW, am I completely out of it here, or would it be a better idea to create
an abstract DataEngine (say, NowPlayingDataEngine), and then create
subclasses that implement different media players, but show the same
interface, thus hiding most of the differences between data engines?  I'm
not sure how often DataEngines are created in memory during execution, so
I'm trying to think about possible enhancements to speed here...