irc log of an interesting conversation

Jared Kells jkells at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 11:35:52 CEST 2008

Hi,

My $0.02 after reading that IRC log.

IMO "Web 2.0" is a success only because the current desktop is a failure. I
often read comments online about making a "web operating system" and how
everything should be in the cloud since all the apps they use are web apps.
What bullocks,

One reason why web 2.0 applications are such a success is because they
require no steps to get them to users. A simple link from a friend and in
seconds you can be on a new social networking site without needing to
download anything OR install anything that could potentially damage your
computer. That is a failure of the desktop.
Running an unknown application in a sandbox is a natural thing to do BUT
that doesn't mean we should be tied to embedding it in a web browser to
acheive it.

GMail more specifically is a success because:
1. It's accessible from any computer
2. It provides an email address not linked to your ISP with a lot of storage
and good spam filtering.
3. It has a good interface.

1. Is a failure of the current desktop in particular the security model
2. Has nothing to do with it being a web app.
3. Is a failure of the desktop. How is it that I can search my gmail quicker
then a few hundred megs of email on my local machine? I can't believe I have
to wait minutes searching in my local email. GMail is instaneous.

Besides the imbred silicon valley crowd the only web 2.0 apps regular people
use are webmail and social networking. =)
*
*I love this line from the wiki*
*

*First Commandment of User Interface design: I'm the computer, your
platform. Thou shall have no other platforms before me. Not even Especially
not the shiny, web2.0 ones. *
Kindest Regards
Jared