making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Wed Feb 27 15:52:52 CET 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 15:26:35 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008 08:04:55 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > > - clashes with icon colours (tight spaces make this suck even more),
> > >
> > > Non issue. Icons are colorful and you simply *can't* get something that
> > > works with everything.
> >
> > wrong. they work just fine with base(), at least the common base() values
> > used. saying that it can't work with highlight() therefore it doesn't
> > matter so just go ahead and do it anyways doesn't make sense.
> >
> > > - it doesn't direct the eyes to the meaningful content.
> > >
> > > Celeste has already addressed it, no?
> >
> > no. i've heard her dismiss it as being a problem, but that's not the same
> > thing as "addressing" the problem. there are exactly three pieces of
> > information that one makes their "i'm going to click on it" decision:
> >
> > * the title text
> > * the subtitle text
> > * the icon
> >
> > the rest of the space is not informationally interesting. so ... why
> > highlight it? especially with an eye catching ocean of colour?

> Also, does no one else care, have an option, have a preference, or think
> this is an issue?  So far this has been a discussion between three people,
> a developer, and artist, and a designer (that sounds like the beginning of
> a bad bar joke).

Ok, you've given me license to stick my oar in.  I believe it should be full
width, because
* it's consistent with every other selectable item on the desktop, but
especially pulldown menus.
* conversely, only highlighting the text could give the impression that the
text is something separate to the icon.
* other menus also display icons and other elements without colour clashing.
Fuel gauges in items are a solvable problem
* highlights are supposed to be eyecatching:
* a full width highlight doesn't cramp the item it highlights, a bit of empty
space between the borders of the highlight and its contents makes the whole
thing easier on the eye
* a full width highlight doesn't create the impression of a jumble of
differently sized rectangles whilst mousing over a list of items

Will

--
Will Stephenson
IRC: Bille