KWin and plasma's colorscheme

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 5 19:17:24 CET 2008

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Monday 04 of February 2008, Sebastian Kuegler wrote:
>> I've toyed around with Plasma's colors and KWin's boxswitch and made KWin's
>> boxswitch using Plasma colors so that it blends in more nicely with the
>> rest of those "elements of the desktop". The boxswitch would be one of
>> those things, see screenshot for what I'm talking about.
>>
>> Now I suspect that Lubos doesn't take prisoners, so I'm fully prepared for
>> hell to break loose. (I mainly fear that linking in plasma stuff gets me
>> some 'gimme some of that crack you seem to be smoking', but then I'm too
>> green to know better.)
>>
>> In any case, what would be a nice way to make KWin and plasma blend in more
>> nicely? Or would the attached patch even be acceptable?
>
>  I can't say I'd like very much the idea of making KWin link libplasma, but
> that's not the reason why I don't like this. The reason is that I don't see
> why it should stop using the standard way to get colors and instead use a
> Plasma-specific replacement. And, if this patch went in, would that mean that
> other "random" places would have to be patched this way too?

Well, plasma obviously has it's own color scheme, though I can't say
from an objective point if this is good or bad (probably bad, at least
in that currently there is no config for it in the color kcm, and there
should be). So, I'm going to go with Chani, here; they should be
configurable*, and the colors should be configurable from the color kcm
along with all other colors (including WM colors, though admittedly
there is work to be done there also).

That said, if plasma can manage its colors nicely, I think I'm OK with
kwin's switcher using plasma colors.

* The oxygen cursor theme achieves configurability by using "magic"
colors that are replaced with system colors. If plasma is using QtSvg
(i.e. rendering done at a stage that can respond to the system color
scheme), this should be easy enough to implement.

--
Matthew
ESNR: signal to noise ratio too low (try a mailer without disclaimers)