KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/tasks (silent)

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Tue Feb 5 18:06:07 CET 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008, you wrote:
> On Sunday 03 February 2008, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > pfff... as usual; except bugfixes. But the reactions did show pretty much
> > that I should not waste my time any longer and therefore I'll do the
> > opposite and unsubscribed from this mailinglist.
>
> is quitting and taking your ball home with you really a useful response?

Well, please understand that I've a day-job working as developer and I need to
recover at my free time and collect new energy. That's why I am just not
motivated to deal with conflicts on such a level.
It is not a problem if somebody points me at the mistakes I did (and for sure
I do plenty of them cause I am just a human too) as long as it's done in a
way that doesn't eat my motivation. Else I'll just to anything to block that
negativ energy. See that as kind of firewall to protect my motivation to
continue to sit down and hack for fun.

> the request here is pretty simple: cooperate with the rest of the plasma
> developers working on the code instead of committing randomly. it's really
> not hard to do and actually lets us work faster and better.

I am all for cooperation and I do understand that ppl like to review commits.
What I tried to outline (maybe not clear enough) is, that I don't believe
that it's a good idea to prevent commits. Please understand that this is a
_plain_ technical issue since subversion just does not allow such workflows
without sucking the one (those who commits) or the other (those who likes to
review). This is one, if not the biggest, reason why git is such a useful
thing since it's designed to address that by allowing the committer to just
commit and the reviewer to decide if the commit is ok and then merge it
to "trunk".

That's why I wrote the longer second reply to Chani to explain my reason just
after I realized that my previous reply did sound a bit strange.

> obviously, whatever you decide to do with your time is your decision. it'd
> just be nice if the alternative to "i want to work without communicating"
> was not "i'm going away". i hope you eventually reconsider your reaction.

ok, I did (reconsider), but I guess we still don't have a working solution for
the problem.