[Panel-devel] Plasma panel

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Sep 30 22:02:10 CEST 2007

On Sunday 30 September 2007, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Sunday 30 Sep 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Panel
> > Panel
> > Panel
> > ------------- 0 -----------
> > Screen 1			Screen 2			Screen 3
>
> The problem here is knowing where on the screen to put the PanelView...

isn't that was Location Containment::location() is for? =) we may need to add
more values to the Location enum, but this only leaves stacking orders if we
decide to support multiple panels on the same screen edge ... which i'm not
sure we need/want to.

> > the trick will be preventing users from accidently moving objects
> > into the negative coordinate space themselves, but i think this is
> > pretty easy to do, really (mostly by controling what the views are
> > showing).
>
> It actually is fine, as long as the panels have a z-value higher than
> the desktops.  Anything moved into the panel space will just slide
> under the panels

this doesn't take into consideration hiding panels, does it?

> I've got another version with signals for updates here.  See what you
> think.  Note that PanelViews are created on demand now, so you can now
> add panels from the desktop context menu.

i'm not sure we need the appletAdded signal, do we? (if we do, i'd also
provide a pointer to the Containment it is in with the signal...)

also, i'm not sure i like the add[South|North|East|West]Panel methods. i'd
like to come up with a more ... human friendly way of doing this. *thinks*