[Panel-devel] engines, applets and timing

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Sep 16 17:36:37 CEST 2007

On Sunday 16 September 2007, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> 1)
> uint timeSinceLastUpdate() const;
> int timeSinceLastUpdate() const;
>
> it avoids signed/unsigned comparison and internally it's an int anyway.

hm. ok ... even though we can't have negative times here =) internally it was
a uint until i changed what i was storing there, but changing the API to
reflect what is there now is fine =)

> 2)
> d->relays.erase(d->relays.find(relay->m_interval));
> d->relays.remove(relay->m_interval);
>
> in this case it's the same but nicer.

sure =)

> 3)
> in DataContainer::connectVisualization d->relayObjects[visualization]
> was not set for (updateInterval >=3D1)

are you sure? it's set in DataContainer::Private::signalRelay, is it not?

> and related to that fix:
> QObject* DataContainer::Private::signalRelay
> SignalRelay* DataContainer::Private::signalRelay
>
> to avoid casting

there is a reason the SignalRelay class is in a _p.h file ;) external usage of
this class should not need to know about SignalRelay at all

> 4)
> it's not possible to disconnect during QObject::destroyed()

sure it is; well at least it doesn't crash doing so ... and the real issue for
calling disconnectVisualization on destroyed() is to remove the SignalMapper
from our data structures. QObject disconnect()s automatically on destruction
(obviously) but DataContainer needs to remove it from its record keeping

> checking the sender is a bit ugly but I didn't feel like writing an
> extra slot?

except that now you've made it impossible to call disconnectVisualization
directly. this part of the patch is wrong.

> 5)
> DataEngine::setupdateInterval
> should be
> DataEngine::setUpdateInterval
>
> right?

whoops, yes... silly capital letters.

> 6) (not yet implemented)
> I would like to change minUpdateFreq to minUpdateInterval because that's
> what it acually is.

+1