[Panel-devel] Caching support integrated into 4.4

Andreas Aardal Hanssen ahanssen at trolltech.com
Fri Sep 7 21:45:20 CEST 2007

On Friday 07 September 2007 17:22, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 07 September 2007, Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:
> > An option might be also to provide a patch for qt-copy for KDE 4.0, the
> > change can be backported very painlessly (although of course it can't go
> > into Qt 4.3 upstream).
>
> if such a patch were made available, i'd be happy to test it here against
> 4.3 and then get it into qt-copy ...

It's in the snapshots that'll be released in 2 hours or so, but in the mean
time here's a patch that applies cleanly to 4.3; this patch follows standard
open source Qt licensing so feel free to use it as you like :-).

I've done measurements of my own - compiled up kde4 with Qt 4.4 (didn't work
right away because of build error in Qt/XML). Moving analogclock around
without caching on my machine uses 40% CPU. With caching there's no visual
impact, but CPU usage drops to 2-4% :-))). Of course, the clock doesn't
change ;-). Right now it needs to call invalidate() but I think I'll make
update() work like it should instead. :-)

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen / bibr