[Panel-devel] applets and plasmoids

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 24 22:25:06 CEST 2007

hey all

so as of today we have applet loading. huzzah. next on my menu is to implement
applet location saving, which implies being able to select applets at runtime
to be useful. i need to speak with milliams about the desktop box thing...

i've also settled on a definition for "plasmoid" that i'm fully comfortable
with... i haven't altered it in a couple weeks, so i'm pretty confident in it
now ;)

a plasmoid is the combination of files that go into creating a plasma plugin.
this includes:

 - metadata (e.g. .desktop files)
 - svg images
 - configuration definitions (KConfigXT)
 - code (either something Kross groks or a compiled c++ library)
 - ...?

the script version of a plasmoid will be packaged using ruphy's plasmagik
(nearly ready to be integrated into plasma; next week is the target for
that!), meaning that a user will download a "plasmoid" which is really a
plasmagik package. of course, other apps can use plasmagik, so not all
plasmagik packages will be plasmoids. =)

these packages will contain all the files needed to have a plasma widget.

so what's an applet? the code part of a plasmoid is the actual applet,
technically because it provides a Plasma::Applet object. to users, this will
be an implementation detail they probably never see.

make sense to everyone? =)