[Panel-devel] KDE4

Florian Roth florian at synatic.net
Wed Jun 22 18:11:44 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch 22 Juni 2005 17:28 schrieb Zack Rusin:

> That's so eighties ;) What I want to do for Plasma is introduce a
> concept of "gfx chains".
>
> Let me quickly explain what "gfx chains" would be.
>
> The basic problem with all special effects in all desktop environments
> right now is that they are widget specific. For KDE 4 I'd like to have
> effects that are indepenent of widgets. And then widget developers can
> hook up effects for different stages of the rendering. For example a
> widget could create a chain of :
> - masking effect (like our current tooltips),
> - rotation effect (just rotate the widget 360 degrees)
> and bind it to a certain event eg. mapping of it.
>
> Furthermore user could create chains for certain elements of the
> panel/desktop.
>
> So people develop effects completely seperately from the widgets
> (certain effects might be available only to certain widgets though).
> Also effects could advertise need for OpenGL accleration to perform
> their functions. So if a user doesn't have hw acceleration those
> special effects wouldn't be even available.

So if I get it right you mean some kind of "effect plugins" which can be
individually applied to a widget depending on what features (OpenGL,
COMPOSITE) are available? Sounds good :)

It would be cool if the user could create the "chains" himself in a simply
way. Maybe a controlcenter module for configuring the effects. For example he
wants the widget to fade in and then to do some rotation. And then he simple
opens the control module, chooses the effects, puts them in some particular
order and his new eye candy is ready to go :)

Florian Roth