[Panel-devel] last call for 3.5

Fred Schaettgen kde.sch at ttgen.net
Tue Jun 14 22:01:32 CEST 2005

On Monday, 13. June 2005 23:17, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hey all...
>
> so this is last call for features for kicker in 3.5 ... whiel we can always
> think of cool stuff to add, we need to saw off at some point, and this is
> that point. currently, i'm aware of the following unfinished features
> (difficult; who):
>
>  - don't remove buttons when its backing .desktop file is
> removed temporarily (medium; me)
>
>  - make the minipager desktop backgrounds (optionally) match those of the
> desktops themselves (open; easy)
>
> possibly the kmenu search line as an option?

Probably not. Not for 3.5. There are too many issues with it and during the
discussion with some usability folks we couldn't even agree on what is the
best way to present the search results so far - in short: grey out menu
items, flat list or treeview? There are good arguments against each option.
Apart from that I have the feeling that we are bumping into limitations
everywhere with a QPopupMenu-based K-Menu.

> any additions, speak now and have code ready quickly... because we're going
> into "no more feature commits" freeze this week!

I've got an updated patch for the quicklauchner:
http://fred.hexbox.de/kde/quicklauncher/
The main class it more or less completely reformatted now btw. I can't imagine
that you like to review _that_, but otoh you have asked for it more or
less }:) I've certainly missed several formatting issues in the existing
code, but I hope you're not that picky about it.
The dynamic mode is more straightforward to configure now. The wording in the
config dialog (see screenshot) and in the context menus is probably less than
perfect though. If you have any better ideas..

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch at ttgen.net