[Panel-devel] wrapping up for 3.5

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 1 01:00:16 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 03:41, Barış Metin wrote:
> I've just subscribed to the list :).

welcome =)

for everyone else's information, Barış is the fellow who contrib'd the
"buttons with text" patch for kicker.

> I want to start by asking how can I help with the 3.5 and KDE4 effort? I'm
> And secondly, is it possible to speed up the development and join the KDE4
> development earlier? If so how :).

those two questions are one and the same. the sooner we get through 3.5
milestones, the quicker we can move to KDE4 development.

for 3.5 we have 3 general categories of work, and here they are:

Finishing features
	o ability to configure look of taskbar. in particular i want you to be able
to select from a combobox in the taskbar between preset values. these values
would be defined in .desktop files that contain the config settings and a
name for the setting. i'd like to see three settings: Classic (buttons=on),
Oxygen (buttons=off, text halo=off) and Transparency (buttons=off, text
halo=on)

	o make the minipager desktop backgrounds (optionally) match those of the
desktops themselves. turn this on by default =)

	o finishing the "don't remove buttons when its backing .desktop file is
removed temporarily". i will do this one as it's fairly tricky, i've through
thoroughly and i've already done the first half of the work on it. =)

	o finish the KickerTip-ization of the panel. in particular, the clock and
quicklauncher should use KickerTip

	o there are two Konsole buttons in menuext. i've asked the person who
committed it to mege the two, but they don't seem to be doing that. i'm
debating whether to just `svn rm` the new button to make a point ;) or to put
the effort into merging the two. the effort is actually trivial, and would be
less spiteful ;)

Quality Assurance / Bug Hunt

	o sweep the bug database for bugs reported against 3.4.x that aren't fixed
yet, and bugs and wishlist items that are fixed

	o drag and drop of applets is a bit shaky still. i've promised to put a list
together for Stefan but haven't done so yet. =/ in any case, this is probably
Stefan's baby

	o general "test as many things as possible and make them good". in particular
the configuration dialog, the applets and basic panel manip

	o i've noticed that DnD of panels has been broken subtly. this is almost
certainly my fault from when i got rid of the QPtr* stuff there, so i take
responsibility for checking into this one.

Default Settings

	o i'd like to see us sweep through the default settings for kicker and make
some choices for a beter set up. e.g. the Plain Clock over Digital. perhaps
even go so far as to put TWO panels (gasp!) on the desktop. nothing too, too
crazy, but something meaningful. we'll have a couple of months before 3.5 is
out to gather reactions and testing, so i think this is a perfect release to
do this.

so that's the action item list as i see it. if you have other ideas, please
add them to this thread. if you'd like to claim one of these items, please
note as much in this thread. i should probably put this online somewhere and
keep a running tally as to what is happening with them. perhaps this weekend
i'll throw up a quicky webpage to do this.