[Owncloud] Owncloud service as a protection against ransomware?

Tornóci László tornoci.laszlo at med.semmelweis-univ.hu
Thu Jan 30 08:53:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

ransomware gets more and more widespread. If your windows workstation
gets infected with a version of this malware type, all your data files
(local or stored on the network) get encrypted and you need to pay to
get them decrypted again. For more info see:
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/10/cryptolocker-ransomware-what-you-need-to-know/

Of course the real and only reliable solution is to backup your valuable
data. However, I think using owncloud may give some level of protection
to my users (at least for the time being). So my question is:

Am I right to suppose that when the ransomware encrypts the files that
are either synced to owncloud or when owncloud is used as a network
drive through WebDAV: the automatic versioning of owncloud retains the
unencrypted version of the files?

If the answer is yes, it could be very useful to develop a script that
automatically restores all files to a state before a certain timepoint
and nukes any version stored after that timepoint.

By the way, does any owncloud admin have any real experience with a
ransomware infection?

					Yours: Laszlo