[Owncloud] Fwd: How I just lost 2/3 of my files to the sync-client

Benjamin Schieder blindcoder at scavenger.homeip.net
Wed Feb 5 14:38:58 UTC 2014

Am 2014-02-05 15:10, schrieb Klaas Freitag:
> On 05.02.2014 14:20, Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>> After a reinstallation of my laptop and re-configuration of the sync
>> client, the client now synced the / directory of my server instead of
>> the /clientsync directory.
> Did you have a previously configured client? Have you been asked if
> you want to start over with a clean sync or keep the local files?

I had a previously configured client. For reasons I can't quite
reconstruct now, I removed the existing sync entry from the client and
added a new one. The new one didn't ask for a path and took the entire /
from the server.
Note that this sync worked like a charm!
After this initial sync I had the entire / from the server on my client
and everything where it bel

>> Well, that was fine with me, so I decided to move the directories from
>> /clientsync/* to / .
> Where? On the server or on the client?

On the client.

>> The sync client then started working on that and the logfile showed
>> lots
>> of "Moved" messages. All fine so far.
> Which logfile? Was it the apache log or the client log?

In the "Details" section of the client UI.

>> At some point, the sync client encountered a 500 Internal server error
>> and stopped working.
> Why did that happen? Did you find something in the apache error log?

I'm not sure _why_. I guess that it's because the "Work" directory is
pretty big. The line from the access.log is:
x.x.x.x - - [31/Jan/2014:11:01:26 +0100] "MOVE
/remote.php/webdav/clientsync/Work HTTP/1.1" 500 906 "-" "Mozilla/5.0
(Linux) csyncoC/0.91.4 neon/0.30.0"
There's nothing in the error.log at the time, but a few entries like
this around it:
[Fri Jan 31 11:02:06 2014] [warn] [client 91.66.218.142] mod_fcgid: read
data timeout in 40 seconds
[Fri Jan 31 11:02:06 2014] [error] [client 91.66.218.142] Premature end
of script headers: remote.php

>> During investigation, the sync client crashed and I restarted it.
>> Now it started to sync again but started deleting files on the server
>> and locally.
>> In the end, only the files successfully "Moved" were kept, all others
>> that existed on the server but not on the client or vice-versa were
>> deleted.
> That is strange, and we do not have an explanation to that. Maybe you
> have more input on our questions.
>
>> Personally, I'd call that a serious bug but am unsure how I can and if
>> want to reproduce it.
>>
>> I was able to restore the files from another machines sync directory,
>> but it was very scary nonetheless.
> Yes, sorry for that.

No problem. As I had the data on two more devices, there was nothing
lost.
Personally, I think that the size of the Work directory, the timeout of
PHP and the subsequest crash of the sync client left some databases in
strange states resulting in this.

Kind regards,
Benjamin