[Owncloud] Updater App does not show the current 5.0.11 release

Randolph Carter RandolphCarter at fantasymail.de
Thu Sep 12 21:22:35 UTC 2013

Following the advice I usually give others, I checked the owncloud log,
it shows this:
{"app":"PHP","message":"Unable to move \/var\/www\/owncloud\/backup\/ to
\/media\/exthd\/owncloud\/data\/\/updater_backup\/ at
\/var\/www\/owncloud\/apps\/updater\/lib\/helper.php#28","level":4,"time":"2013-09-12T21:05:04+00:00"}

What is the updater trying to do here? Why does he try to move the
backup directory from owncloud root to the data directory?

The updater_backup directory didn't exist; but creating it didn't change
anything (php user has full permissions on both the data folder,
as well as on the created updater_backup).

And why does it have to be a fatal error resulting in a blank screen?
Not very user friendly...

And isn't copying something directly to the data directory dangerous? In
general, the data directory (at least mine) seems to contain a bit of a
jumble of app and user data at the moment - what if a user is named
updater_backup (for whatever reason)? I also see a news directory... so
a user can't be called news?

Weird stuff...

Regards,
Randolph