[Owncloud] App store

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Fri Oct 25 14:23:01 UTC 2013

It's no big secret that neither users nor developers are really happy with the
state of apps.owncloud.org for several different reasons. OCS/OpenDesktop filled
a gap when it was introduced, and has been very good for stuff like GHNS on
KDE, but the API is clumsy, it doesn't allow multiple versions, the UX is -
hmm, unsatisfactory - and most importantly it seems that it is no longer being
actively maintained or improved.

As none of us have the time to improve it, I propose moving to a different
platform. I don't wanna diz anyones brain child, but rather avoid having work
time spread to thin. If we can upstream content publishing/delivery to an
actively developed project, a lot of time and frustrations could be saved.

Plasma Active needed a content publishing platform, and decided to develop a
new open platform called Bodega, which seems to be just what is needed for
ownCloud.

I haven't studied it closely, but here are some links for anyone interested:

http://aseigo.blogspot.ch/2013/10/bodega-its-all-about-participants.html
http://aseigo.blogspot.dk/2013/10/publishing-content-with-bodega.html
http://zrusin.blogspot.dk/2013/10/bodega.html
https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/network/bodega-server