[Owncloud] [owncloud app] upnp port mapper

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Wed Nov 27 15:38:42 UTC 2013

Hi Boris,

this is very cool! Good idea.
It's always recommended to have only PHP dependencies. If you want to use a cli tool to do the upnp calls then you limit the usage of the app to people who have this tool installed. Which are not a lot of people. You should detect if this tool is present from inside the app and show a warning if something is missing. But I'm a bit worries that installing a new upnp tool as root on the machine is not significantly easier then configuring a port forward in the router. :-)
Have your looked into the existing php upnp libraries? I have no idea how/if they work but this is perhaps something to check.

But if you want to rely on a 3rdparty cli tool then you should definitely include a check and a warning if it is present on the system or not.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of good documentation how to package an app. I wanted to do this for a long time but never managed to do that. But it's relatively straight forward. Just pack the app folder as a zip and upload it to apps.owncloud.com
Let mek now if you have any questions.

Frank