[Owncloud] Proxy-firewall denies windows-client

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Wed May 29 09:35:54 UTC 2013

We analyzed the issue and it was indeed a (not that uncommon) rule in the firewall/proxy solution that mandated the presence of "Mozilla" and "Windows". The solution was to change the user agents to the style "Mozilla/5.0 ($OS) mirall/x.x.x". After that, the proxy happily accpted basic auth.

This way, at least the Windows client will work. I was willing to make that sacrifice because I am aware of at least one mobile ISP that checks for user agents (of course the real fix is to encrypt your traffic with SSL, but some choose not to). I am not willing to hardcode "Windows" though when its not (Linux, OS X). This makes debugging hell ("What, you are using Mac OS? The server logs indicate you are using a Windows client!").

IMHO, User-Agent filtering is even more retarded than blocking ports (claim to fame: all modern malware is using port 80 today, making it even harder to detect), but at least that makes ownCloud client work in a "slightly paranoid default corporate setting".

Daniel