[Owncloud] Plug ‘play Box with Owncloud preinstalled

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Thu May 16 17:21:00 UTC 2013

Hi,

unfortunately the Open-PC project is not active anymore at the moment.
The original idea was to build nicely preconfigured Linux PCs as alternative to Windows and Mac PCs. We charged 50,- EUR more than the pure hardware price to provide a special preconfigured openSUSE with all the right drivers installed, a telephone support hotline where you can call if you have questions about Linux, a donation for open source projects like KDE and openSUSE, a few stickers and more.
Unfortunately this didn't work and we sold only a few. Most people buy the cheep hardware and install the software on their own.

This could happen here again with ownCloud. Instead of buying an ownCloud box for 75,- EU most people would probably buy a Raspberry PI and install ownCloud on their own. But I could be wrong of course. :-)

So if someone want's to do that then we could reuse the Open-PC project for that. All the trademarks, domains, infrastructure, stickers and even contracts with manufacturing partners are still here. Someone just has to step up :-)

Frank